Site Navigation

Dartmouth, Princeton Split to Force Decisive Third Game in the Baseball Championship Series

Dartmouth's Chris O'Dowd (24) and Sam Bean (6) celebrate after scoring the go-ahead runs in the Big Green's Game 2 win.
Dartmouth's Chris O'Dowd (24) and Sam Bean (6) celebrate after scoring the go-ahead runs in the Big Green's Game 2 win.

Box Score & Play-by-Play: Game 1 | Game 2
Photo Gallery

PRINCETON, N.J. -- Dartmouth and Princeton split Saturday's doubleheader in 2011 Ivy League Baseball Championship Series at Clarke Field in Princeton, N.J., to force a decisive game three to played Sunday at 1 p.m.

Princeton's bats got hot late in game one, scoring six runs in its final two at-bats to take a 9-2 win. In game two, the Tigers seemed to have their first Ivy title in five years in their sights with a 4-0 lead going into the seventh inning. Dartmouth had a different idea, plating two runs in the bottom of the seventh and three runs in the bottom of the eighth for a 5-4 comeback victory to extend the series to Sunday's rubber game.

Game 1: Princeton 9, Dartmouth 2
Game one was a pitchers' duel through most of the game with Princeton holding a 3-2 lead after six innings. The Tigers extended its lead to three, 5-2, thanks to a two-run home run by sophomore Nate Baird, just his second round-tripper of the season, in its home half of the seventh.

Princeton broke the game open for good in the bottom of the eighth with four straight hits that pushed two runs across the plate to start the inning. Junior Tom Boggiano and sophomore Matt Bowman added RBI singles to give Princeton all it needed to take the first game, 9-2. Junior Sam Mulroy had the hot bat for the Tigers, going 2-for-3 with three RBI in the victory.

Game 2: Dartmouth 5, Princeton 4
The second game saw Princeton, which was the visiting team in the game, jump out early on a two-run homer by freshman Mike Ford in the Tigers' top half of the first inning.

Princeton came right back in its next at-bat and plated two more runs on a sacrfice by freshman Bobby Geren and an RBI single by Bowman to go up 4-0.

The bats were quiet until Dartmouth finally got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the seventh, thanks to a two-run blast over the center field fence by senior Jeff Onstot.

Then came Dartmouth's two-out comeback in the bottom of the eighth. Back-to-back doubles by junior Joe Sclafani and senior Sam Bean got Dartmouth rolling to start the inning. With Bean on second, sophomore Chris O'Dowd was intentionally walked, bringing senior Jason Brooks to the plate in a position to be the hero. Brooks delivered with two-RBI double, giving the Big Green the big hit it needed to take a 5-4 lead which held on to give Dartmouth a chance at its third-straight League title.