Cornell's Pannell Select First Overall, 12 Ivies Taken in 2012 MLL Collegiate Draft
PHILADELPHIA -- First overall selection and two-time Ivy League Player of the Year Rob Pannell of Cornell led a contingent of 12 Ivy League student-athletes who were chosen in the 2012 Major League Lacrosse Collegiate Draft on Friday night. Pannell was picked by Long Island, while Princeton's Chad Wiedmaier was a first round pick by Hamilton (seventh overall).
All told, Cornell had four players selected in the 2012 draft, while Princeton had three, Harvard and Yale each had two and Penn had one.
Pannell becomes just the second Ivy League player to be selected first overall in the MLL Collegiate Daraft and the first Big Red player to do so, joining Princeton's Ryan Mollett, who was picked first overall by Rochester in 2001.
For the second year in a row, the MLL Collegiate Draft was held before the start of the upcoming NCAA season and only seniors with expiring eligibility were eligible to be drafted. With the move, drafted players can directly join their respective MLL teams following their senior seasons.
Last year, then Princeton attackman Jack McBride was the first Ivy Leaguer off the board, as the Denver Outlaws took him in the fifth round with the 27th overall pick. The Boston Cannons then selected brown midfielder David Hawley in the seventh round with the 40th overall pick.
2012 MLL Collegiate Draft Results (Ivy League Players)
1. Rob Pannell, Attack, Long Island (Cornell)
7. Chad Wiedmaier, Defense, Hamilton (Princeton)
10. Tyler Fiorito, Goalie, Chesapeake (Princeton)
11. Roy Lang, Midfield, Rochester (Cornell)
14.Kevin Vaughan, Midfield, Denver (Harvard)
37. Will Koshansky, LSM, Boston (Penn)
38. Matt Gibson, Attack, Chesapeake (Yale)
41. Dan DiMario, Defense, Charlotte (Harvard)
42. Chris Langton, Midfield, Ohio (Cornell)
46. John Cunningham, Defense, Denver (Princeton)
48. JJ Gilbane, Midfield, Boston (Cornell)
56. Greg Mahony, Midfield, Boston (Yale)