2011 NCAA Division I Men's Soccer Championship Bracket: PDF | HTML
Brown Preview | Ivy League NCAA Third Round Notes (PDF)
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Ivy League Co-Champion Brown plays host to a NCAA Championship third round contest at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 27 in Providence, R.I. The Bears welcome Saint Mary's (Calif.) in the final-16 showdown.
Brown made the 48-team 2011 NCAA Championship field as an at-large selection and hosted MAAC champion Fairfield in the first round. Trailing 2-0 late, the Bears scored three goals in the game's final 11 minutes to advance the second round. Then in the second round, the Bears knocked-off ninth-seeded St. John's, 1-0, in Queens, N.Y. to advance to the final-16 for the second consecutive season.
The Bears, who are making their 26th NCAA Championship appearance, will now play host to St. Mary's for a spot in the quarterfinals. It marks just the second time since 2001 (when the NCAA Championship began play under it current format) that an Ivy team will host a third round game. In 2008, Harvard hosted Maryland in a third round game that the Terps won, 2-0.
The winner of the Brown - Saint Mary's clash will play the winner of the No. 1 UNC - No. 16 Indiana match with a trip to the 2011 College Cup on the line on Dec. 2, 3 or 4.
The 2011 NCAA Men's College Cup will be played on Dec. 9 and 11 at Regions Park in Hoover, Ala. Both semifinal matches and the championship game will be broadcast live on ESPNU.
NOTES: IVIES IN THE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Dartmouth and Brown tied for the 2011 Ivy League Championship. Dartmouth received the League's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship field and Brown joined the field as an at-large selection.
- At least two Ivy League teams have made the NCAA Championship field for seven consecutive seasons, a streak that began in 2005.
- At least one Ivy League team has advanced to the second round in each of the last seven seasons.
- Since 2001 when the NCAA Championship begam playing under its current format of a 48-team field with the top-16 seeded teams receiving first round byes, Dartmouth (2008 & 2010), Harvard (2009), Brown (2010 & 2011) have advanced to the third round where they have combined to post a 0-4 record.
- Brown is just the second Ivy to play a home game in the thrid round (Harvard's 2-0 loss to maryland in 2009 was the other).
- Since 1963, the Ivies have sent at least one team to the NCAA tournament 46 of the 49 years (all but 1966-67 and 1988), including each season since 1989 (23).
- Ivy League teams have combined to post a 63-39 record in NCAA first round play since 1963, including
12 first-round wins since 2001 (current format).
- The Ivies have now combined for a 5-9 mark in NCAA second found play since 2001 (current format).
RESULTS // SCHEDULE
Thursday, November 17
1 - Providence College def. Dartmouth, 1-0
1 - Brown def. Fairfield, 3-2
Sunday, November 20
2 - Brown def. No. 9 St. John's, 1-0
Sunday, November 27
3 - St. Mary's (Calif.) at Brown, 5 pm
1 - NCAA Championship first round (campus sites / Providence, R.I.)
2 - NCAA Championship second round (Queens, N.Y.)
3 - NCAA Championship third round (Providence, R.I.)