Courtesy of Cornell Athletic Communications
Photo courtesy of Cornell Daily Sun
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- The Cornell men's tennis
team claimed the first ECAC Indoor Championship in program history
when it defeated third seeded Binghamton, 4-3, this evening in the
Murr Center at Harvard in Cambridge, Mass. The tournament finale
was a dramatic one, coming down to a three-set final match victory
at No. 4 by Evan Bernstein, who battled back from
a set down to clinch the victory for the Big Red.
Cornell jumped out to the early 1-0 lead by sweeping all three doubles matches to take the doubles point, but a victory at No. 3 by Binghamton's Alexandre Haggai over Jeremy Feldman (6-2, 6-1) knotted the teams at 1-1.
No. 5 Zhongming Chen put the Big Red back on top with a win over Rafael Rodrigues (6-2, 6-0) but once again, the Bearcats battled back with a win at No. 2 by Arnav Jain over Andy Gauthier (7-5, 6-3).
The teams traded victories again with Cornell's Evan McElwain defeating Evan Algier (6-3, 6-3) at No. 6 and Binghamton's Sven Vloedgraven beating Jonathan Jaklitsch (6-1, 7-5) at No. 1 to set up the dramatic finish by Bernstein.
No. 1 Cornell University def. No. 3 Binghamton; 4-3
Match 13 – Monday, February 21
1. Vloedgraven (Bing) def. Jakitsch (Cor); 6-1, 7-5
2. Jain (Bing) def. Gauthier (Cor); 7-5, 6-3
3. Haggai (Bing) def. Feldman (Cor); 6-2, 6-1
4. Bernstein (Cor) def. Wong (Bing); 4-6, 6-1, 6-6 (7-3)
5. Chen (Cor) def. Rodrigues (Bing); 6-2, 6-0
6. McElwain (Cor) def. Algier (Bing); 6-3, 6-3
1. Jaklisch/Bernstein (Cor) def. Haggai/Jain (Bing); 9-8 (7-4)
2. Feldman/Gauthier (Cor) def. Devos/Wong (Bing); 8-3
3. McElwain/Klis (Cor) def. Bornkessel/Vloedgraven (Bing); 8-5