Courtesy of Cornell Athletic Communications
ITHACA, N.Y. -- After finishing as the Ivy League runner-up for the past two seasons, the No. 50 Big Red men's tennis team earned a share of its first ever Ivy League title this afternoon, defeating No. 58 Princeton, 4-3, at the Reis Tennis Center in Ithaca, N.Y.
The win improves Cornell to 23-4 overall and 6-0 in the Ivy League for its first conference title since winning the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association (EITA), which included the eight Ivy schools and Army and Navy, crown in 1949. The Big Red can win the title outright with a victory at Columbia on Saturday, April 23.
Cornell grabbed the doubles point with a pair of electrifying 9-8 wins by No. 1 Jonathan Jaklitsch/Evan Bernstein and No. 3 Mirza Klis/Evan McElwain.
Bernstein stretched the Big Red's lead to 2-0 with a commanding victory over Dan Richardson (6-2, 6-1), but Augie Bloom answered with a three-set thriller over Klis.
Back-to-back wins by No. 2 Andy Gauthier and No. 4 Jeremy Feldman sealed the victory for the Big Red, with Feldman breaking Yohei Siow in a slugfest to give Cornell the title.
Princeton closed the match with a pair of three-set thrillers by No. 6 Alex Faust and No. 1 Matija Pecotic.
No. 50 Cornell def. No. 58 Princeton; 4-3
1. Jaklitsch/Bernstein (COR) def. Pecotic/Siow (PRIN); 9-8
2. Shoji/Lin (PRIN) def. Gauthier/Feldman (COR); 8-6
3. Klis/McElwain (COR) def. Faust/Bloom (PRIN); 9-8
1. Pecotic (PU) def. Jaklitsch (COR); 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
2. Gauthier (COR) def. Spindler (PU); 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Bloom (PU) def. Klis (COR); 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
4. Feldman (COR) def. Siow (PU); 7-6, 6-4
5. Bernstein (COR) def. Richardson (PU); 6-2, 6-1
6. Faust (PU) def. McElwain (COR); 6-1, 1-6, 7-6 (7-0)
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2, 1, 3
Singles: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6, 1