2011 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship Bracket: PDF | Interactive
Live Stats | Live Video | Yale Game Notes | USC Game Notes
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Yale, winner of three Ivy League women's volleyball titles in the last four season, opens the 2011 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Championship Friday in Los Angeles on the home court of No. 1 ranked and seventh-overall seed Southern California.
The Bulldogs and the Women of Troy face each other at 10 p.m. Eastern time in the second of two first-round matches at the Galen Center. Tulsa and Oklahoma square off in the opener at 8 p.m. Friday's first-round winners face off Saturday, Dec. 3 in the second round, with the winner moving on to the regional semifinals next weekend in Honolulu.
Yale is 2-0 all-time in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament, with wins over Albany in 2004 and Ohio in 2008. The Bulldogs' two NCAA Tournament losses have been to eventual champion Penn State in 2004 and eventual runner-up Minnesota in 2008.
This season Yale claimed its first outright Ivy League championship since the 2008 season, finishing 12-2 to earn the League's automatic NCAA Women's Volleyball Championship berth. The Bulldogs extended their streak of double-digit conference victories totals to eight seasons en route to their third outright title and seventh overall.
Southern California comes in the match ranked No. 1 in the nation by the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA). The Women of Troy won the Pacific-12 title with a 20-2 conference mark and have won eight in a row and 20 of their past 21 matches. USC is 63-24 all-time in the NCAA Tournament and has won six national championships, with the last coming in 2003.
Texas is the No. 1 seed in this year's NCAA Championship, followed in the seedings by Nebraska, Illinois and Iowa State. The 2011 national semifinals and final will be played Dec. 15 and 17 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
Friday, December 2
NCAA First Round
Yale at Southern California, 10 p.m.
Saturday, December 3
NCAA Second Round
Yale/Southern California Winner vs. Tulsa/Oklahoma Winner, 10 p.m.
THE IVY LEAGUE IN THE NCAA WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
• The Ivy League has made 17 all-time appearances in the NCAA Volleyball Championship:
Brown (1996, 1998), Cornell (1993, 2005, 2006), Penn (2001, 2002, 2003, 2009, 2010),
Princeton (1994, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2007), Yale (2004, 2008)
• Ivy League teams hold a combined 3-16 record in NCAA Championship play
• Yale earned the League's first NCAA win, a 3-0 win over Albany in 2004
• Yale also earned a First Round victory in 2008, a 3-2 win over Ohio
• Penn owns the League's third NCAA victory, a 3-1 win over Army in 2009
YALE BULLDOGS IN THE NCAA WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
• 2011 marks Yale's third all-time NCAA Championship appearance
• Yale's last appearance in the NCAA Tournament came in 2008
• Yale is 2-0 all-time in the first round of NCAA Tournament action, with wins over Albany (2004) and Ohio (2008).
• The Bulldogs are 2-2 all-time in Championship play:
2004 – Yale def. Albany, 3-1, first round (30-28, 30-21, 31-33, 30-22
– Minnesota (eventuall runner-up) def. Yale, 3-0, second round (30-17, 30-18, 30-19)
2008 – Yale def. Ohio, 3-2, first round (25-19, 23-25, 25-23, 17-25, 16-14)
– Penn St. (eventual champion) def. Yale, 3-0 (second round) 25-18, 25-11, 25-12
YALE VS. SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
• First-ever meeting between Yale and Southern California
• USC is 1-0 all-time against the Ivy League, as the Women of Troy defeated Dartmouth, 3-0 in 2008
2008 – USC def. Dartmouth, 3-0 (25-18, 25-16, 25-12)
• USC went 25-4 overall and won the 2011 Pac-12 Conference title with a 20-2 conference mark
• 2011 marks the Women of Troy 21st-consecutive NCAA Championship appearance
• USC has won eight in a row and 20 of its past 21 matches
YALE VS. TULSA/OKLAHOMA
• Yale and Tulsa have never met
• Tulsa is 2-1 all-time against the Ivy League, with wins against Princeton and Columbia and a loss to Cornell
• Oklahoma has yet to face an Ivy League team